By worldpoetry on July 10, 2010 - 10:36pm
Dear Honoured Poets and Supporters,
Welcome to another World Poetry Update. We have had another action-packed year.
Highlights were the World Poetry Gala, the life celebration of Li Bai with our first international guest, Dr. Hadaa Sendoo from Mongolia, as a presenter. Dr. Sendoo is our World Poetry Ambassador to China and Mongolia. Thanks to all our wonderful partners and great media coverage, the event was an outstanding success.
We continue another year with the World Poetry Café Radio Show. We now have 25 countries that listen on a regular basis.
We also presented a moving tribute to Vera Manuel with our partners, the Aboriginal Writers Collective, among many other WP events.
Alejandro has a new book coming out, published in the US.
Ariadne is working on the third draft of her novel, and is also doing a book of dream poems called Love Poems to the World. This has been an interesting experience.
Here is a calendar of coming events in the summer and fall, with a peak into the future:
• July 28th 6:30 pm World Poetry Night Out at the New Westminster Public Library (our gracious hosts and partners)716-6th Avenue (Auditorium Room) with hosts: Ariadne Sawyer & Anita Aguirre Nieveras
Featured talk: Montreal Performance Poetry Method.
Featured poets: Candice James (New Westminster Poet Laureate), Masume Dihkani, Jaimie McEvoy, Diane Laloge, Tony Antonias, Ibrahim Honjo and Franci Louann.
Open mike. All are welcome. Refreshments. Multicultural, multilingual readings. 604-526-4729
• August 21st 3:00-3:15 pm. Pandora’s Collective - Summer Dreams Literary Arts Festival - Lumberman's Arch in Stanley Park. Poets TBA.
• August 28th 4:30 World Poetry Annual Potluck at the home of Ashok Bhargava and his family. Another exciting evening of poetry, good food, art, music and dance! Bring poetry, food and drink. Volunteers are needed for setup and cleanup. Please RSVP and contact firstname.lastname@example.org for address.
• 27th 7-8:30 pm, World Poetry Celebrates the 200th anniversary of Chilean Independence, Vancouver Public Library, 350 West Georgia, Alice MacKaye Room, historical presentation, music and dance. Hosts: Ariadne Sawyer and Alejandro Mujica-Olea. Free. All welcome.
• World Poetry Reads at Word on the Street.TBA.
• 29th, 6:30 pm, World Poetry Night Out. New Westminster Public Library (Auditorium Room) 716-6th Avenue. Book launches. TBA.
• Fall: First International World Poetry Reading in New Delhi, India! Organized and hosted by World Poetry Ambassador and international committee member Dr. Rita Malhotra, with participation from various embassies.
• World Poetry Reading Series, Vancouver Public Library, 350 West Georgia Street. TBA.
• World Poetry Night Out! First Anniversary! 6:30-8:30 pm. New Westminster Public Library, our partners and hosts, (Auditorium Room) 716-6th Avenue. TBA. Celebration, poetry, anniversary cake! Come celebrate with us!
• World Poetry Lifetime Celebration of William Blake. Richmond Cultural Centre, TBA
• World Poetry Night, New Westminster Public Library (Auditorium Room) 716-6th Avenue. Poets: TBA.
• 2011 World Poetry International Poetry Festival! Richmond BC TBA.
• Joint Project with Ankh Entertainment. Multimedia poetry, art and music show. TBA.